Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it


It dawned on me at some point last night that there might not be such a difference between my work doing picture research and interior design. The goals of both are to find the best-suited elements for a specific place and purpose. As a photo editor, I would find images that would fit the copy and make the best visual impact. It is the same with interior design, I would be looking for items that are most appropriate to serve its function in a given space. In both I was searching for the best form to serve a specific function. It could simply be there as eye candy, or it could be there to illustrate a point in the story, or in the case of interior design, a place to sit.
Both photography and design tell stories; and both, if done properly, will engage both the creator and the "experiencer" in some fashion. I think the best results in both come from those who really love what they are doing, and that is true in any field. I love being a photo editor, and I will love being an interior designer. But, as the song goes, "it's nice work if you can get it...."

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, this is one of the best pictures you have ever taken.

    Baby bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of sayings/songs and one I think of from this photo (which is EXCELLENT by the way!) is "a picture is worth a thousand words". Loving what you do is the pinnacle of a living good life. My father's advice was well intended but he was wrong. He told me you can't make a living as a writer or artist and to re-select. My life has riches money cannot buy!
    suZen

    ReplyDelete

View blog authority