Wednesday, February 11, 2009

All voting is a sort of gaming, like checkers or backgammon, with a slight moral tinge to it, a playing with right and wrong. Henry David Thoreau

Yesterday was election day here in Israel. I took my 2 year old niece with me to vote, instilling civic duty early. Luckily I got home from the polls before a major rainstorm; Israel really needs the rain. It was quite fantastic, with thunder and lightning. I guess since it doesn't rain in the summer, we get thunder storms in the winter.
Without getting into politics, I have to say that the system baffles me. I voted for a small party whose values seemed to be closest to mine, though in the end I don't think they won any seats in the Knesset. Both Livni and Netanyahu have declared victory, although I think Livni is the victor but the right has the Knesset majority. I am still very confused about this whole process. I don't know what causes what; the confusing system or that the political issues themselves are so complicated.

2 comments:

  1. The whole political process is baffling to me too - you can only vote your personal convictions and see what happens. It can be rather mind-numbing - look at how "we" in this country elected Bush twice! There were a lot of numb brains voting that day. The issues seem to muddy the waters so much today, complicate things, all the global jockeying for positions. I hope your election has the best outcome for your country.
    suZen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, too! I've only been here about a year, so I was in the states during the Bush years. And I was able to vote absentee in the most recent presidential election, and quite pleased with those results!

    ReplyDelete

View blog authority