Wednesday, February 11, 2009

All the attractions of a house were concentrated in one room; it was kitchen, chamber, parlor, and keeping-room...


While my version of Walden is not limited one room, I am still going to try to stay true to this idea by allowing the different rooms to serve different functions. This is the plan for Thoreau's kitchen. It very basic. Along the window on the left are two stools against a raised counter so he can look out the window while he eats or enjoys a cup of coffee. He can entertain a friend or enjoy his solitude. He can read or write in his journal, or, perhaps, simply do nothing at all.

These are the appliances I have chosen. I still haven't chosen the cabinets or counters. (I intend on having hardwood floors throughout the apartment). The sink, as mentioned in a previous post, is an acid-resistant ceramic over cast-iron apron sink. I am thinking of some sort of green distressed wood cabinetry and wood counter tops, perhaps birch or some other light colored wood. I'm still looking. Ideally it should be recycled or reclaimed.

The pocket doors on the right lead to the bedroom. Between that and the kitchen along the top wall, is some sort of plant. I am placing greenery in various spots around the whole space, as Thoreau did love nature, though I may choose to put the cat's (Ralph) food and water bowls in that spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

View blog authority